Making resolutions is one thing but keeping them is a whole different matter. Here’s some advice on making them lasting.
- Make sure all of your resolutions are achievable and worthwhile
- Set up techniques and diary logs to encourage you to keep them
- Work on your blockers. Identify the things that stop you doing your resolutions, face these head on and come up with firm strategies to resist your blocks. For example, stress and boredom can be triggers to go back into old habits. Be aware of this and tell yourself how to stop falling into that trap.
- If you fall off the plan, don’t beat yourself up. Just give yourself permission to get back on to your plan and carry on. Learn from it.
- Keep up an activity for 21 days is the secret – by then it has becomes a habit. Trick yourself into working your resolutions list 1 day at a time for a week, do this weekly focus three times and there you go – you’ve got a new habit!
All in all we make resolutions to boost our life and bring more fun, joy and happiness. The targets we set are markers in the ground for what we want to create in our lives so have fun with it, aim high and make sure that you are living the live you want. Resolutions are setting the tone for your new year.
We can do anything if we set our minds to it.
Happy year ahead.