Have a look at this podcast with Jeff Mara. I talk about my NDE and talk about what happened when I left my body and returned from brain cancer healed.
This is my talk with Alfreda Lanoix on the Self Care Summit 22 where I talk about my backstory.
I am a survivor of a serious form of brain cancer. While I was in hospital I experienced an NDE (near death experience) when I died and returned to my body.
I left my body, feeling like I floated out of my container that was my body, floated above and during this journey was shown the realms we go to when we head over to the other side.
I saw heaven and was given the choice to come back into my body. I chose to return and came back into my body with a flash of brilliant white light.
The next MRI brain scan showed that the brain tumour had left without any trace of scarring. The doctors at Cambridge University were baffled about how this could have happened so fast and without trace.
I am currently writing my real-life story of a wild journey through brain cancer to health, full remission against all odds, an expanded consciousness and back to a full healthy life.
The events unfolded fast and changed my life in a profound way. I see the world differently now with all new perspectives.
In April 2018, I was told I had four weeks to live. A massive brain tumour was growing in the middle of my brain, and my future looked shaky. I had created as big a storyline as I could imagine. Something deep inside of me told me it was going to be ok and that I would get out alive.
The head oncologist at Cambridge University Hospital told me, ´You have a lymphoma and yours is what I would call a diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Only about 15-20% are cured with that diagnosis.
I was a single mum with a young son living at home who needed me. I knew I had a full life ahead of me and I intended to survive and live life to the fullest. With hindsight, I can bless this incredible adventure. I have learnt lessons that I came into this life to learn, and it has made my life-story a rich and inspiring tale. This was a roller coaster journey requiring a great deal of strength, courage, bravery and trust. It was a wake-up call for me to find out what life is truly about, and to experience what happens when we die.
I have learnt major lessons from this journey about how to live, how to identify true priorities and how to remain feeling happy and positive — regardless of what is playing out in everyday life. I found it is possible to juggle the areas of life competing for my attention by simplifying things and saying yes only when I mean yes. I am no longer afraid of death. I have no fear inside me since my NDE.
As in all good stories, adversity opened the gates to learning the deep lessons and gave me the wisdom I came here to learn. We often need to be pushed, poked and challenged to learn the deep lessons that we need to know. It is in the struggle and challenges where the golden nuggets of life’s experience lay buried. I had read about this idea but never fully understood it, until this life-threatening experience happened to me.
In my new book I am telling the story of how I recovered from a giant brain tumour after having an NDE (near death experience). I used alternative and conventional methods of treatment, and ancient healing technologies including prayer, visualisation, reiki, psilocybin and CBD oil.
Since my own NDE I have loved reading books on the subject of NDEs and find out what other people experienced. I will be writing more about recommended books on the subject.
There are many films on the subject of NDE available on line on channels including Netflix and Gaia.com. I will put some of my favourites into the resources section. My book on my NDE will go from book to film.
There are many scientific and peer reviewed resources to go to for more detailed information on the science behind the area of NDEs. Links are given below for further reading and science papers for this area. References kindly provided by Dr Eben Alexander (www.ebenalexander.com). Watch our podcast together to hear us talk about many of these references.
NDE: Further reading and science references
- Hagan, John C. III. The Science of Near-Death Experiences. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press, 2017.
- Holden, Janice Miner, Bruce Greyson, and Debbie James. The Handbook of Near-Death Experiences: Thirty Years of Investigation. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Publishers, 2009.
- Rivas, Titus, Anny Dirven, and Rudolf H. Smit. The Self Does Not Die: Verified Paranormal Phenomena from Near-Death Experiences. Durham, North Carolina: IANDS Publications, 2016.
- van Lommel, Pim. Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of Near-Death Experience. New York: HarperCollins, 2010.
- Alexander, E III. Extraordinary Cases of Miraculous Healing. EXPLORE July/August 2017, Vol. 13, No. 4 pp 257-258 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2017.04.006)
- Khanna S, Lauren E. Moore, Bruce Greyson. Full Neurological Recovery from Escherichia coli Meningitis Associated with Near-Death Experience. J Nerv Ment Dis 2018;206: 744–747 [This is the case report of Dr Eben Alexander’s NDE]
- Assante, Julia. The Last Frontier: Exploring the Afterlife and Transforming our Fear of Death. Novato, CA: New World Library, 2012.
- Atwater, P.M.H. Dying to Know You: Proof of God in the Near-Death Experience. Faber, VA: Rainbow Ridge Books, 2014.
- Kübler-Ross, Elisabeth. On Life After Death. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press, 1991.
- Moody, Raymond A. Jr. Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon – Survival of Bodily Death. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers, 2001 (originally published in 1975 by MBB, Inc., and later by Bantam Books, a division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc. in 1976).
- Moody, Raymond Jr and Paul Perry. Glimpses of Eternity: Sharing a Loved One’s Passage from this Life to the Next. New York, NY: Guideposts, 2010.
- Moorjani, Anita. Dying to be me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc., 2012.
- Neal, Mary C. To Heaven and Back: A Doctor’s Extraordinary Account of her Death, Heaven, Angels and Life Again. New York: WaterBrook Press, 2012.
- Olson, Jeff. I Knew Their Hearts: The Amazing True Story of a Journey Beyond the Veil to Learn the Silent Language of the Heart. Springville, UT: Plain Sight Publishing, 2012.
- A. Palmieri et al., “‘Reality’ of Near-Death-Experience Memories: Evidence from a Psychodynamic and Electrophysiological Integrated Study,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 8 (2014), doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00429.
- Ritchie, George G. and Elizabeth Sherrill. Return from Tomorrow. Grand Rapids, MI: Chosen Books, 1978.
- Sudman, Natalie. The Application of Impossible Things: My Near Death Experience in Iraq. Huntsville, AK: Ozark Mountain Publishing, 2012.
- M. Thonnard, et al., “Characteristics of Near-Death Experiences Memories as Compared to Real and Imagined Events Memories,” PLOS ONE 8 (2013), 3, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057620.
The Afterlife: Further reading and science references
- Jackson, Laura Lynne. The Light Between Us: Stories from Heaven. Lessons for the Living. New York: Spiegel & Grau, 2015.
- Guggenheim, Bill and Judy Guggenheim. Hello from Heaven! A New Field of Research ~ After-death Communication ~ Confirms that Life and Love are Eternal. New York, NY: Bantam Books, 1995.
- Carter, Chris. Science and the Afterlife Experience: Evidence for the Immortality of Consciousness. 2012.
- Beischel, Julie. Investigating Mediums: A Windbridge Institute Collection. Tucson: The Windbridge Institute, 2015.
- Forbes, Sukey. The Angel in My Pocket: A Story of Love, Loss, and Life After Death. New York, NY: Viking Penguin, 2014.
- Hummel, Virginia Michelle. Miracle Messenger: Signs from Above; Love from Beyond. Palm Desert, CA: StarChild10 Publications, 2011.
- Schwartz, Gary. The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002.
- Tompkins, Ptolemy. The Modern Book of the Dead: A Revolutionary Perspective on Death, the Soul, and What Really Happens in the Life to Come. New York, NY: Atria Books, 2012.
Resources from Eben Alexander NDE podcast interview
Case report on Eben Alexander´s case: https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/wp-content/uploads/sites/360/2018/09/Greyson_-Alexander-JNMD-2018.pdf
Proof of Heaven – http://ebenalexander.com/books/proof-of-heaven/
Map of Heaven – http://ebenalexander.com/books/the-map-of-heaven/
Living in a Mindful Universe – http://ebenalexander.com/books/living-in-a-mindful-universe-a-neurosurgeons-journey-into-the-heart-of-consciousness/
Bigelow Institute Contest results: https://bigelowinstitute.org/contest_winners3.php
Plato’s story of Er: The Republic, by Plato
Shared Death Experiences: https://www.sharedcrossing.com
Reincarnation & NDE Science (University of Virginia DOPS): https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/
Ed Kelly’s books (links embedded):
Kelly, Edward F., Emily Williams Kelly, Adam Crabtree, Alan Gauld, Michael Grosso, and Bruce Greyson. Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
Kelly, Edward F, Adam Crabtree, and Paul Marshall (eds). Beyond Physicalism: Toward Reconciliation of Science and Spirituality. Rowman & Littlefield: Lanham, MD, 2015.
Kelly, Edward F. and Paul Marshall (eds). Consciousness Unbound: Liberating Mind from the Tyranny of Materialism. Rowman & Littlefield: Lanham, MD, 2021.
Book One Mind: Dossey, Larry. One Mind: How Our Individual Mind is Part of a Greater Consciousness and Why it Matters. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc., 2013.
Sacred Acoustics Audio meditation tools: https://www.sacredacoustics.com
Free interview series: https://www.innersanctumcenter.com/united
Eben Alexander website: http://ebenalexander.com