We are all creative
- Sometimes we feel blocked but we can get past these blocks by going within yourself – go inside. I have never met anyone who isn’t creative somehow.
Discover your passion
- Decide what you like doing and turn up to your favourite craft regularly. It doesn’t matter if it’s sewing, drawing, doodling, painting, making matchstick men, writing, playing or writing music, designing, putting images things together, doing a Pinterest board, making a vision board, acting, dancing, playing a game with friends. Whatever you enjoy doing that involves losing yourself in a task that gets you putting ideas together in a new way, do that and get immersed. Forget about the time.
- Surround yourself with other creative people and talk about ideas rather than talking about other people or gossiping. Talking to others helps you to build on ideas and create something new that you wouldn’t have thought of perhaps by yourself.
- Think about projects that inspire and excite you. See what projects you feel like getting involved with locally – join a choir, learn to sing, get a new language, taking a drawing class. The way to know if it’s creative for you is to feel if it gives you joy and makes you feel good. When you get creatively immersed, time flies and the hours pass by without even noticing.
- Play music while you daydream. You don’t have to be doing things all the time. Take some time, relax, chill, listen to some soothing music and let the music take you off into feeling good. You may feel like taking a rest and relaxing, or some music may bet you energised so you want to dance. Let your body do what it wants to do. Resist responding to the strong voice inside your head and instead follow your flow, follow your intuition and go towards what makes your heart sing and what brings you joy.
See new people and places
- Chat with some people you don’t know well who to things in your area of interest. If you like art and drawing, join a local group and see who you meet. Go to places where you don’t know anyone yet and make some friends, strike up conversations. The best times for adventure happen when you don’t have a plan.
- Remember, that no one knows what they are doing. Everyone is winging it and trying and experimenting. It’s good to make mistakes, fail at things, fall on your face trying something new. No one is really watching. The more you make mistakes, the more you explore and became inquisitive. The more you fail, the more informed you become about what doesn’t work which helps you get onto the track of what does work.
The main thing to remember about creativity is that it’s meant to be fun and enjoyable. Be light with yourself and your creative endeavours. None of it matters. The only thing that’s important is that you enjoy yourself. Try out some puzzles and games, meditate and connect with your spirit, let ideas flow without judging them.
Creativity is about dancing with yourself, exploring your spirit and see what comes through the senses, without judging yourself. Not a bad way to approach life as a philosophy of living in this new world ahead of us.
One thing this lockdown has created is a spring of new creativity flowing out of us while we spend time quietly at home wondering what to do. Inevitably, if we do nothing, something happens and our mind gets busy on new ideas.
Humans are naturally curious, naturally inquisitive and if left to their own devices, they become naturally creative.
Explore your creativity and surprise yourself. It’s the perfect time to explore the inner you that you have been meaning to unlock for years.
Go ahead, be courageous and get creative.
Being light with yourself
Don’t take yourself too seriously
Do puzzles and games to keep the mind nimble
Read books for inspirtation
Try to do something creative every day